Thursday, September 14, 2023

Getting personal - What it's like to live with chronic illness



My goodness! It's been two years since our last blog post up here. Time to refresh this page with some projects we created these past years. But first a little personal note.

The past few years have been a rollercoaster. With changes in so many ways. I am sure you can relate that there was a time before and a time after Covid? During Covid we were super busy. So many people started making masks from our fabrics. People got laid off and started their own companies and licensed our designs. It was a blessing getting so much extra work in but it took a toll.

In early 2020 right after Covid hit I moved the studio and my home to a new city. I was super excited to start a new venture and playing house with my BF. But we managed to buy a house with so many hidden problems it took us three years to only fix the things that were priority. Thanks to Covid prices were nuts and schedules delayed. Again and again. Thankfully with all the new business coming in I could actually keep afloat financially. And skip rent for a studio, since no one was allowed to work in one space anyway. But I did know, I was ignoring my body. Some of you might already know my story, here's a quick recap. When I was a kid I had problems with my joints. Growing older the problems became more chronic. And pain was always just around the corner. Going to a concert, waiting in the cold to catch a train took a toll. Over the years I managed to live with it. Create my own working schedule around it. Take rest when needed. Say no. And listen to my body. But Covid and renovations meant I had to put that on hold till things settled down. So I did.

This year I decided to slow down a bit. Work fewer hours working from the new studio space. I knew I had to take rest or my body would catch up with me. But boy did I underestimate the backlash! Starting with every-day migraines from November (thank god for my Thai Masseuse!) Now my body's inflamed all the time. Pain is constant again. And, that's shitty I can tell you! Thought I had that figured out already. But here we are again. You can do everything right for months, and still it's not getting much better. Maybe you have a chronic illness as well. It's lonely to step back and put life on hold. It felt on hold already for years with Covid and the house. Now it was my body not budging an inch.

So the last months have been a challenge. And how i cope with challenges is usually by creating. I don't like to talk about my pain much. But not doing so also causes a lack of understanding. Not being seen. Feeling lonely. I don't like to swallow in my drama. So what I did was create a design, a seamless pattern of course. With my expressions and thoughts about how it feels being isolated and pulled down by my body. Maybe you recognize yourself. Maybe you know someone who suffers from a chronic illness. Take a moment and reach out. Without judgement. That's all we need to lift our spirits a bit on a shitty day.

Licensing print designs
You can purchase this design on fabric or license this print for your own production. If you like to license our prints for your business too please send us a message. We also have some more specific designs available. To support cancer awareness, MS. reach out if you need something custom for your project. We license print designs all over the world, and we love to welcome new collabs.